Sustainable dental care combines traditional oral care with sustainable actions and attempts to help the environment by transforming the ways we look at our medical care. For patients who advocate for recycling and eco-friendly sources, finding ways to reduce their carbon footprint and help save the environment can be challenging in a world filled with easy-to-use commodities reliant on nonrecyclable materials. Combining this goal with maintaining oral health can be especially difficult due to how the medical industry highly relies on disposable plastic and latex products, such as gloves, toothbrushes, rubber dams, and masks. However, there are many things you can do to change your routines at home, and here we’ll dive into some great tips to do just that.
Ways to Change Your Routine For The Environment
Sustainable dentistry is all about finding new and innovative ways to help the environment, all the while caring for people’s oral health. Exploring new ways to make your daily routines more sustainable can be tedious, but it is a well-worth cause that needs more economic investment. Making the world a more sustainable place takes active engagement in how major companies manufacture the products we use each day. However, these long-term goals will take time and effort on both ends to truly make a difference. The small habits you do now can make a difference, and if you wish to help the environment and keep your smile healthy, then here are some health tips we recommend for you to follow for happier, healthier teeth:
- Replace Tubes With Tablets: Instead of using a tube of toothpaste, you can use toothpaste tablets as an excellent way to reduce plastic waste.
- Try Renewable Toothbrushes: Rather than plastic toothbrushes, bamboo toothbrushes are biodegradable and thus have less impact on the environment.
- Shut Off The Faucet: When brushing your teeth, shutting off the faucet can help conserve water. Wastewater has become a big issue as each person wastes over four gallons of water on average.
- Research Your Trusted Companies: While purchasing products, researching the companies you purchase from can help improve your sustainability long term.
- Choose Eco-friendly Practices: When heading to the dentist, ask their clinic what they do to reduce their impact on the environment. Many eco-friendly practices can work to reduce their waste through buying in bulk and replacing plastic tools with metal ones.
Better Ways For Sustainable Oral Health Solutions
Our economy is always looking for better oral health solutions because of how relevant these problems are today. The small choices you make can make one small difference at a time, and improving your world while brushing your teeth can help keep your health in check. For more information about making sustainable choices, the best place to go is to your dentist. Your dentist can recommend healthy oral products that work with your teeth and help reduce the amount of plastic and have a fully active, environmentally aware lifestyle.